Is Your PTA in Compliance?
In order to remain a local unit PTA in good standing with West Virginia PTA and National PTA, local unit PTAs must be in compliance with the standards of affiliation each year.
What will happen if my PTA is not in compliance?
If a local unit PTA is not compliant with the Standards of Affiliation, the local unit PTA may be in jeopardy of losing their tax-exempt status with the IRS and state of West Virginia. West Virginia PTA is required to report to the government on a continuous basis the local units that are not compliant with the standards set forth by West Virginia PTA.
It is easy for your PTA to be in compliance!
Listed below are the items that will ensure that your PTA is in compliance on a regular basis! For additional information, please read the entire Local Unit Standards of Affiliation. A guide is also available for your use! If you are unsure of your status, please contact the West Virginia PTA office at email@example.com or call 304-420-9576. Members of the West Virginia PTA Board of Managers are here to assist you to ensure that you are in compliant!
To be in good standing, a local unit must:
- Submit the Local Unit Officer Form by July 1st of each year;
- Report and pay membership dues on a monthly basis; payment of a minimum 10 members must be received by October 1st of each year;
- Submit the annual review/audit of finance records within 120 days after the end of the fiscal year;
- Submit a copy of the IRS 990 form 30 days after the submission to the IRS;
- Submit proof of general liability and bonding insurance by October 1st of each year; and
- Submit approved bylaws every three years.
CLICK BUTTON FOR THE "STANDARDS OF AFFILIATION" QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE: